Monday, May 16, 2011

Fitness? What Fitness?

In summer time we all have our own ways of keeping down the weight and staying fit.  Tillerman likes to run (away from the nursing home I presume);  O Dock does an ever increasing list of repairs on his yacht (thanks to Sir Neptune); Joe likes to, well, I actually don’t know what he does. Me, well I like to do some Mountain biking and gym’ing.

As winter creeps up on us, there will be less duelling it out around the cans and more sitting in doors than is good for us. But this post is not about physical fitness but rather mental fitness and what one does to remain sharp for the coming summer’s regattas.



So how does one keep ones wits up during the winter?.  I guess everyone has their own method. I presume Tillerman keeps “fit” by duelling an online game of Nautical Chess with Kasparov.  O Dock on the other hand likes a bit more mischief and keeps  “fit” by finding new clever ways of yanking Tillerman’s chain in the comment section of Propercourse Doc Häagen-Dazs is like usual keeping himself busy on Virtual Regatta.  Joe, well again, I don’t actually know what he does, but then again, do they have a winter season in paradise?

What will I be doing this winter?  Well, I still don't have the faintest idea.

7 comments:

Tillerman said...

How did you know? I do indeed try and keep mentally fit for sailing by playing a sort of "nautical chess". It's called SailX.

Actually I don't really do it to stay mentally sharp. I do it because it's fun. But it does make you think about strategy and tactics and rules and all that good stuff so I don't think it does any harm to your sailing skills.

I also find that blogging about sailing keeps my head in the game and thinking about sailing topics when I can't actually be out sailing. Can I suggest, Smilicus, that you keep yourself occupied during your southern hemisphere winter (and keep the rest of us entertained) by blogging about sailing issues more frequently?

Smilicus said...

Knew I was right in some way regarding the nautical chess, haha

Will give SailX a go this winter and Virtual regatta....

Will hopefully be blogging more this winter, since I will be looking at a few aspects of my sailing I need to choose between, but more on that later

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Yeah, Smilicus! I'm so busted with you shining the light on my virtual Yacht racing... Thanks to your publicity, I feel the feeling and hear the sounds of the great sucking whirlpool, pulling me into B-Fleet from which there is no exit!

Smilicus said...

Haha Doc, glad I could help your virtual rankings, if only it would work its way to real life sailing...

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

No, Smilicus, we both know that real life sailing is priceless.

O Docker said...

Keeping Tillerman on his toes is hard work, but someone has to do it.

I'm really impressed that, for added realism, he does SailX on his laptop in a bathtub full of ice water.

Smilicus said...

Not only in a tub with ice water , but a fan on the corner on full speed and every now and again he puts his head under the water to simulate a capsize.